Historic Immanuel Hall is the former Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church, constructed in 1900 and used by its congregation until 1964. Since then, the building has remained in continuous use under various owners.
In 1999, plans to demolish the building were imminent. The Village of Hinsdale, inspired by the Historical Society and an aroused citizenry, managed to save the building by purchasing it with the aid of a grant from the State of Illinois. Ownership of the building and the lot on which it sits was deeded to the Hinsdale Historical Society in 2001.
Situated on a large grassy lot in the heart of one of Hinsdale’s oldest residential areas, the one–story frame building was built with volunteer labor offered by skilled immigrant craftsmen. These men were members of the church’s German congregation and were responsible for constructing many of Hinsdale’s early buildings.
Immanuel’s simple “Carpenter Gothic” style exterior — with clapboard siding, front gable wall, centered bell tower and 65 foot spire, steeply pitched roof and arched windows and doors – is entirely intact, as is its main floor interior with vaulted plaster ceiling and wainscoting. Some major features were added later, including a full basement, a working pipe organ and ten stained glass windows. The building’s classic styling and historical integrity earned it nationwide recognition in 2001 with its listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building is widely recognized as an important symbol of Hinsdale’s early development, its volunteer spirit and its pride in and respect for its past.